Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Sally from Loro Ciuffenna My First Post

Hi,
Well, we are just back from another day of driving through beautiful scenery and looking at churches and a few museums. We found that almost everything closes their doors at 1:00 and open back up around 3:30 - which is of course my prime time. It is kind of frustrating because even the tourist information place closes up. The squares are empty - basically we are the only few people on the streets during siesta times. It is usually too far for us to go to take a nap so we just drive or hang out in a square and watch the clock.

Today we went to a few amazing churches that still had original fresco's - a fresco is like the Sistine Chapel that Leodardo painted...the paint is mixed with the plaster and painted that way. It is pretty amazing that some of the churches were painted in teh 1300's and still have the perfect fresco pictures. The sun here is so much like home, any frescoe that even has a touch of sunlight has faded a lot compared to those that are protected from the sun.

Obviously as that I am not Catholic some of this is truly the first I have been able to view. The churches are fine with people taking pictures. We lit a few candles for our children and I got on my knees to pray a few times. I am touched that so much care was taken to create an atmosphere that reminds us all that Christ lived and died for our sins. I personally don't like that the churches have him hanging on the cross for us to see, I prefer to remember he has ascended to heaven ahead of us all.

So, enough of that for now.

I have made a new friend, Mouschi - my new kitten friend. I suspect that I am not the only one who feeds her but I think I might just be the only one who picks her up. I have to pin her legs so she doesn't feel vulnerable while I hold her - especially if a car parks or Mike walks near.

We have made a few friends with the staff. One of them is so funny. He is drunk a lot...or maybe always a little tipsy. He works hard though and has been a source of amusement for us. Last night - around five he was standing at the bridge while I went to check on the laundry. He ran to the kitchen and nabbed a piece of bread - he was waiting for me upon my return. He saw me coming and laughing he grabbed me to kiss both my cheeks - my face cheeks that is. Then he pulled me to the bridge and tossed the bread into the water.

Hundreds of small fish swam to the bread and ate with a frenzy...made you feel a little like they if they were piranha's we would all be in trouble. He was kind of holding onto me and gave me bread but I said, "Let me go get Mike, he will love this." so off I trotted (we have the best room in the place! close to everything but on  the edge for privacy) so Mike came and the man had already run in to get more bread for Mike to throw.

There we were three old people watching little fish eat bread...that should indicate the spead of things here.

Our place is very nice. This morning I opened my umbrella and sat outside organizing for the day. Right now I am swatting mosquitoes...I have to run, my dinner is prepared. I am joking with people that I brought alone my cheuffeur and chef - nobody else has one! I do the dishes though....but by then who cares the hard work has been accomplished.

I had word from Jessica. Lily is very happy. Jess brought her kitten over and now the two of them are best buddies. Lily needed to learn to be a cat - Jessica has done so many things to help me out...she has even checked our mail for anything important.

I missed Kyle on his birthday and Dan on his. If I were a rich woman I would bring all the kids here - Italy is amazing. It is much nicer taking it on my pace, the world-wind tour just about did me in!  I think that if I had to leave America I would choose Italy. We will see how I feel after England and France.

So, for now Caio!
Love, Sally

No comments:

Post a Comment

A message about this blog.